Google Sheets is a web-based spreadsheet offered by Google as part of their Drive office services. It makes it easy to create, edit and collaborate with others from any device.
OverviewWith the Google Sheets integration, Hightouch can sync your spreadsheets with your data sources.This allows you to:
Hightouch allows you to connect to Google Sheets in two ways:
- Share data in an easily accessible way across teams
- Work with your data with familiar spreadsheet tools
- User OAuth: The User OAuth authentication method allows Hightouch edit access to any Google Sheet your user has access to. This is for organizations that do not allow users from other domains to be added to a Google Sheet.
- Service Account: The Service Account authentication method provides fine-grained control over access to your data. You add a unique Hightouch service account as an editor user to specific sheets that you want to sync.
Initial Setup via OAuthSelect the Google Sheets destination option. Hightouch will prompt you to authorize our app with your Google account with the following scopes:After authorizing, you will have successfully connected Hightouch to Google Sheets.
Initial Setup via Service AccountSetting up the Google Sheets destination via the service account method allows you to limit what files Hightouch can access, instead of allowing access to all of a user's files.Select the Google Sheets (Service Account) destination option. Then, after successfully generating the service account, make note of the service account email.To give Hightouch access to a certain spreadsheet, share the spreadsheet with the service account email with the "Editor" permissions.You're all set! You'll be able to sync directly to the spreadsheets while keeping the rest of your data private.
Syncing Data to SheetsThe Google Sheets destination allows you to mirror your data to a spreadsheet. Hightouch does this by overwriting the entire contents of the selected sheet. Note: please ensure that you have no other data that is not intended to be overwritten on the sheet.
Sheet ConfigurationIn Hightouch, select the name of the spreadsheet that you would like to sync to. If you don't see your spreadsheet here, make sure you authorized the right account or invited the Hightouch service account email to your spreadsheet, depending on your setup mode.Select the sheet within the spreadsheet that you would like to sync to. For Google Sheets, Hightouch deletes all the contents of the spreadsheet and writes your entire query result into the spreadsheet for every sync.
Data FormatGoogle Sheets accepts inputted data in two ways, raw or user entered.
For more information, read the Google documentation.
- Raw The values the user has entered will not be parsed and will be stored as-is. Keep in mind that Hightouch does some casting so numbers and dates may be sent as strings.
- User Entered The values will be parsed as if the user typed them into the UI. Numbers will stay as numbers, but strings may be converted to numbers, dates, etc. following the same rules that are applied when entering text into a cell via the Google Sheets UI.